This mix is easy, it's delicious—and it's full of the flavors teachers need to get through the day! Instant coffee works fine as a substitute for the brewed, if you like. —Deborah Dubord, Fayette, Maine
Recommended: Our Best Coffee Cake Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Place walnuts and chocolate chips in a small plastic bag. Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar. Layer with brown sugar and walnut mixture. Cover and store in a cool dry place up to 3 months.
- To prepare coffee cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk egg, coffee and canola oil. Add brown sugar and flour mixture; mix until combined. Pour batter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 batch (about 3-1/2 cups mix).
Originally published as A Cup of Coffee Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018