Sicilian Potato Salad
Fresh basil is the star of this mayo-free, Italian-inspired take on potato salad. —Sue Falk, Warren, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 10 small russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium cucumbers, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add beans; cook, uncovered, just until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain; immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Peel and cube potatoes; sprinkle with remaining salt and the pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and 3/4 cup basil leaves. Whisk together oil, vinegar and garlic. Drizzle over vegetables; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 96 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sicilian Potato Salad in Taste of Home Summer 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.