Mini Shepherd’s Pies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2 tubes (6 ounces each) small refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup crushed potato chips
- Paprika, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and garlic over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in chili sauce and vinegar.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, cream cheese and butter; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in potato flakes.
- Separate biscuits; press each onto bottom and up sides of a greased muffin cup. Fill with beef mixture; top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with potato chips.
- Bake until topping is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with paprika.Freeze option: Freeze cooled pies in a single layer in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Reheat on a baking sheet in a preheated 375° oven until heated through, 15-18 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 mini shepherd's pies: 612 calories, 36g fat (15g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 1094mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Mar 22, 2012
These were really fun to make, I had the help of my 10 yr old son. He loved putting them together and loved eating them!
Dec 27, 2011
These were a hit of the party! Well worth the time to make and they reheated beautifully if you want to make them beforehand. Wonderful!
Oct 25, 2011
Worth the time to make these! I doubled the recipe so I could freeze some for fast lunch or dinner. I used someone else' tip and made the biscuits from Bisquick and topped w/ a tiny bit of cheddar and instead of chips did ritz crackers. Very good! Even my 2 year old ate it! A winner!
Oct 18, 2011
This was good, but if you want it to be great, here's what you do:use the ketchup, not the chili sauceadd frozen mixed veggies to the beef mixture AND about 1/3 cup of heavy cream (you will be happy you did, trust me)I also agree with the shredded cheddar on top instead of potato chips.I used leftover mashed potatoes (real) with butter, cream, salt and pepper added. My son even ate the green beans and commented that they actually tasted good. Success.
Oct 11, 2011
These were a hit! I did sub the biscuits for crescents and used cheesey instant mashed. Will make these again
Feb 20, 2011
We love these! I used already made mashed potatoes and put cheese on top. New favorite recipe!
Apr 23, 2010
These were wonderful. I made a few changes though. Instead of the beef I used groung turkey. I did not add the salt as the sodium was to high. I used the chili sauce and reduced fat cream cheese and instead of the potato chips I used reduced fat cheddar cheese. They were very easy to make and very good.
Mar 15, 2010
I just made these this weekend for church party; went over well. I think they are better if baked and served right away; reheating did dry them out somewhat. I used shredded cheese on top instead of potato chips. They were gone in minutes/very easy to make.
Mar 4, 2010
Yummy, quick, and easy. I used ketchup and omitted the vinegar. Fun for the kids. Next time I'll top with some type of shredded cheese. These would be a good potluck dish. Try this tip: use a shot glass to press the biscuits down, it makes things go alot faster.
Nov 13, 2009
I made the following changes/ got the following critics:* Omit vinegar (was a bit strong, kids didn't like that part)* Didn't use the cream cheese (didn't have any)* Season potatoes, they were bland* Added a can of mushrooms, chopped finely* I didn't put the potato flakes on top, instead I sprinkled cheddar cheese* Bis...cuts were diffecult to work with, I suggest making your own with bisquick (will be using that next time). If you do use the biscuits recommended, I suggest you follow the directions! I tried to flatten them in my hand and it didn't work to well! After I decided to follow recipe they worked fine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.