5-Spice Pumpkin Pie
I always make a pumpkin pie for our big "pie night" party on Thanksgiving Eve. This recipe is a classic with a special spiced-up twist. —Shawn Barto, Winter Garden, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add half the ice water and vodka, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Add more if needed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. In a small bowl, whisk egg with water. Brush over pastry; refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Meanwhile, beat together filling ingredients until blended; transfer to crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes longer. (Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.) Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 345 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as 5-Spice Pumpkin Pie in Taste of Home November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.