5-Ingredient Chocolate Caramel Bars
Even after tasting some wonderful European chocolates, this is still my favorite chocolate recipe. It would by selfish not to share it with other chocolate lovers!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Melt caramels in a double boiler or microwave. Stir in 1/3 cup milk and set aside. In a bowl, combine cake mix, butter and remaining milk; set half aside and press other half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Pour caramel mixture over; spoon reserved cake mixture on top. Return to oven for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 120 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Caramel Bars in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Oct 21, 2017
This has been a family favorite since we first made it over 20 years ago. Please note that the current packaging for caramels has been reduced to 11oz so you need 2 pkg and weigh out 14 oz. Simple and best when it has time to cool and set.