VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 24 miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 brown M&M's minis
- Line two ungreased 18x13-in. baking pans with parchment paper. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together three times; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into prepared pans. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Cut with a 4-in. ghost-shaped cookie cutter. Spread half of the cakes with preserves; top with remaining cakes. Place on wire racks over waxed paper.
- Transfer frosting to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 20-30 seconds or until melted; stir until smooth. Spoon over cakes. Add chocolate chips for eyes and M&M's for mouths. Let stand until set. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Boo Berry Ghosts in Ultimate Halloween 2014 2014, p93