Black Bean-Tomato Chili
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup orange juice or juice from 3 medium oranges
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 232 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 10g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Sep 19, 2017
I do love cinnamon and I put cinamon in my regular chili, esp if making Cincinnati chili; however, I didn't care for it in this chili. Next time I will leave it out; otherwise, it was a great recipe.
Jan 8, 2015
The orange juice addition was nice but was still quite flavorless to us. I even doubled the chili powder & cumin. Ended up adding a dollop of sour cream and several drops of chipotle tabasco sauce which helped the flavor.
Oct 29, 2014
I admit I was uncertain about the orange juice, but the chili turned out to be delicious and easy to prepare. I did not add the cinnamon (personal preference) but I might be a big girl and add it next time. I added an extra can of diced tomatoes (with green chilis) and 1 lb. of ground beef for my carnivores. Great recipe--thanks Kayla and Lisa!
Oct 29, 2014
I admit I was uncertain about the orange juice, but the chili turned out to be delicious. Everyone loved it and no one could identify the "secret ingredient". I did not add cinnamon (personal preference) but I might be a big girl and try it next time. I added 1 lb. of ground beef for my carnivores and an extra can of diced tomatoes with green chilis. This is a keeper--it is very easy to make. Thank you Kayla and Lisa!
Oct 29, 2014
Okay, I admit I was a little uncertain about the orange juice, but this chili was outstanding. Everyone loved it and there were no left overs. I did not add the cinnamon, but next time I'll be adventurous and give it a try. Thank you Lisa and Kayla!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.