FDR, who saw the nation through the Great Depression and World War II, also knew a thing or two about grilled cheese. This mean melt, with its two kinds of cheese, bacon and Dijon mustard, would have pleased the 32nd president. —Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 slices sweet onion
- 8 cooked bacon strips
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard; spread over four bread slices. Layer with cheeses, tomato, onion and bacon. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- On a griddle, toast sandwiches over medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Bacon & Cheese Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p174