May 25 - Healthy Cooking June/July 2010 Issue
From burgers to baskets filled with the freshest fruits, vegetables, and herbs from farmers markets nationwide
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Janelle Cadet | Taste of Home | [email protected] | 646-797-2039
SAVOR SUMMER'S BEST FLAVORS WITH TASTE OF HOME
From burgers to baskets filled with the freshest fruits, vegetables, and herbs from
farmers markets nationwide
On newsstands May 25, 2010–Greendale, WI: Every summer, farmers markets overflow with fresh fruits and vegetables. They tempt us with their bright and beautiful colors, cheerful people, and promises of unbeatable flavor, freshness, and nutrition. And as we load up our shopping bags, we all face the inevitable question: What do we do with it all when we get home? The July 2010 Taste of Home Healthy Cooking comes to the rescue! The issue's special insider's guide to farmers markets is loaded with ideas for navigating the markets and making use of what you find there. But this is only part of the 170 unexpectedly light menu ideas that pack this latest issue ("Burgers, Baby!")—all of which guarantee that eating right never tasted so good!
"Farmers Market Fresh" – Get Out There and Hug a Farmer Today! (pages 40-51)
It's not just our home state of Wisconsin – every state coast-to-coast has farmers markets bursting with fruits and vegetables, not to mention herbs, jams, jellies, honey… direct from those who grow or make it. Bring the freshest produce and great taste and nutrition to your table with this issue's multi-part field guide and mouthwatering recipes.
- Green and Gorgeous – Most people love the idea of bright and flavorful broccoli, spinach, and green beans. They are great sources of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They're just not always our favorite things to serve, especially to kids! Get everyone ready and willing to see and eat green with recipes like Broccoli Fritters and Sesame Green Beans.
- Berried Treasure – Nothing beats the flavor of fresh berries like blueberries and strawberries except maybe their health benefits. Get started with our scrumptious Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce or Blueberry Citrus Loaves.
- Summer Preserved – Brighten any table and menu by picking up some lip-smacking jams and jellies for our Apricot Orange Vinaigrette and Glazed Pork with Strawberry Couscous.
- Gold Mine – Get your sugar "buzz" by trying the different flavors of honey the markets offer and whip up some Honey Lemon Muffins or Honey Lime Chicken.
- Red, Round Love – A bumper crop of tomatoes is a pleasant problem to have! Serve them in Spicy Chunky Salsa or Herb-Topped Stuffed Tomatoes.
- Get Squashed! Zucchini and summer squash are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. Make them the stars all season long in dishes like Summer Squash Medley or in a treat like Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Plus, we have ideas for freezing when their abundance overwhelms you.
But wait, there's more: Check out TasteofHome.com's lists of Seasonal Produce by State (https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/seasonal-recipes/garden-recipes/seasonal-produce-summer) and some great Garden Recipes (https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/seasonal-recipes/garden-recipes)
"Why It's Lighter" – Burgers without the Guilt (pages 28-29)
America loves its burgers – hot off the grill and juicy but too often loaded with saturated fat and calories. Not in our hands! Check out this issue's expert tips on lightening any burger by using leaner meats and then mixing in spices and sauces and herbs and loading on some special toppings. Plus, there's two recipes you just gotta try: our cover-model Hawaiian Beef Sliders (sweet and savory with a hint of heat and punctuated with pineapple and bacon flavors) and Skillet Ranch Burgers (which mix spicy jalapeños and cool ranch dressing into lean ground turkey).
"Herb Recipes Win Big" (pages 34-37)
Punching up the taste of any dish with herbs like basil, cilantro, chives, rosemary, and mint is a perfect way to intensify flavor without adding fat and salt. And this issue's eight contest-winning recipes make the most of those garden fresh herbs, especially the grand prize-winning Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Dipping Sauce from Elizabeth Lubin of Huntington Beach, CA. Her dish bursts with bright colors and flavor, making it just the right party pass-around. Other winners include Zesty Herbed Lamb Chops (hearty-yet-light and delicious with their side sauce made from basil and oregano) and a simple Minty Watermelon-Cucumber Salad (combining three fantastic flavors of summer to create a delightfully fresh-tasting potluck or picnic side).
Of course, there's much more, like Strawberry Mango Sorbet and Zesty Lemon Granita in "Frozen Desserts 101" (pages 26-27) and energizing snack ideas in "Good to Grow" to make summer camping with the family fun and healthy (page 59). From refreshing salads to sizzling main courses, the July 2010 issue of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking guarantees any meal this summer—whether a simple weeknight supper or a blowout backyard bash—is a feast for the eyes and stomach but not the waistline!
# # #
Healthy Cooking is a bimonthly publication with a rate base of 650,000 from the editors of Taste of Home–a leader in food publishing. Taste of Home is part of Food & Entertaining at The Reader's Digest Association (RDA), which also includes allrecipes.com and Every Day with Rachael Ray. Taste of Home also publishes Simple and Delicious, Cooking for 2, top-selling bookazines, newsstand specials and popular cookbooks. More information about Taste of Home can be found at www.tasteofhome.com.