If you’ve been looking forward to that egg salad in the fridge, you may want to give those Use By dates another glance. There’s a recall is out for deli salads and sandwiches coming from Elevation Foods. Like last week’s hummus debacle, this recall is due to a Listeria risk.
The manufacturer issued a recall on July 19 that affects products at Target and Fresh Market stores. For additional information, you can find the FDA announcement here.
What products are recalled?
Luckily, this recall isn’t quite as huge as the hot dog buns recall we saw a couple of weeks ago. Just 1,087 cases of product were distributed, but Elevation Foods and Target feared that recalled items could be hiding out in your fridge. In total, six products are listed, with two being sandwiches and the rest different kinds of picnic salads. Keep an eye out for the following products if you shopped at Target recently:
- Archer Farms-brand 12-ounce Egg Salad
- Freskët-brand 32-ounce Egg Salad
- Freskët-brand 5-pound Tuna Salad
- Freskët-brand 5-pound Thai Lobster Salad
- Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwich Half Sandwich with Bacon
- Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwich on Multigrain
Traces of Listeria were found in three containers of egg salad, so Elevation Foods issued the recall voluntarily. No illnesses have been reported, and Target got straight to work removing the recalled product from store shelves. Make sure to check your items regardless, just in case you got to them first. According to Fresh Market, all Thai Lobster Salad bought from the self-serve salad bar is also affected.
How do I know if I have one of these products?
It should be easy enough to spot the affected salads. Each product has a unique lot code, UPC code or Use By date which you’ll find on the sides of the container. Here’s what to look out for:
- Archer Farms 12-Ounce Egg Salad: Lot Number W1906042A, UPC 085239018682, Use By August 12, 2019
- Freskët-brand 32-Ounce Egg Salad: Lot Number W1906042, Use By August 12, 2019
- Freskët 5-Pound Tuna Salad: Lot Number W1906054, Use By August 2, 2019
- Freskët 5-Pound Thai Lobster Salad: Lot Number W1906041, UPC 085239018682, Use By August 2, 2019
- Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwich Half Sandwich with Bacon: UPC 220505000002
- Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwich on Multigrain: UPC 498780203566
All items were produced on June 18, 2019 and expire in August, so these items could very well still be in your fridge. Fortunately, egg salad isn’t on our list of must-buy items at Target.
I have one of these products! What should I do with it?
With recalls, you can do one of two things. You can either pitch your salad in the garbage or take it back to the place of purchase for a full refund. It’s possible you can score an exchange for a different item not listed in the recall.
For any questions regarding the recall, reach out to Elevation Foods at 866-761-9566. It’s a 24 hour service, so feel free to contact them whenever you have time.
How can I avoid getting Listeria?
Recalls are no fun, but the bright side is that Listeria is pretty easy to avoid. Make sure any milks and soft cheeses you buy are pasteurized. Hot dogs and other deli meats should be discarded one week after the package is opened. If the recipe you’re working with calls for bean sprouts, ensure they’re cooked through to avoid any nasty bacteria. Keep your ingredients clean and always make sure they’re reaching the right temperatures. Here’s more on how to keep your family safe from Listeria.