The One Ingredient You Haven’t Been Adding to Your S’mores Yet
You'll never see s'mores the same way again.
Is it even summer until you’ve had a s’more? Warm, gooey and oh-so-delicious, it’s hard to imagine improving the classic combo of crisp graham crackers, melty chocolate and oozing marshmallows.
Our editors, however, were up for the task. We asked for simple ways to take your s’mores to the next level, and boy, did they deliver. But out of all the tasty ideas we received, one stood out: Add peanut butter!
Why peanut butter?
We love this hack because it’s SO simple. All you need to do is spread a li’l goodness on each cracker before adding the other toppings. Or, you could sub a peanut butter cup for the plain chocolate. (Heck, you could add both!)
Plus, a jar of peanut butter is easy to throw in your backpack before a camping trip. It doesn’t require refrigeration and makes for a hearty snack by itself or with some pretzels. You can even make your own at home.
If peanut butter isn’t your thing, try one of these other candy-centric combos:
- Gooey caramel: Substitute the plain chocolate bar for a caramel-filled square. (We love the ones Ghirardelli makes).
- Refreshing mint: Try adding one large chocolate-peppermint candy (like York) or a few small squares (like Andes) for a tongue-tingling treat.
- Epic crunch: Use a crunchy candy bar (like Kit Kat or Crunch) to add extra texture to your s’more.
- Allergy-friendly: If you or a loved one has a peanut allergy, check out a nut-free cup (like the PeaNot brand).
- Go nuts: If you prefer hazelnuts over peanuts, spread your favorite chocolate-hazelnut spread (hello, Nutella) on your s’mores. Or, use an almond butter cup (we love Justin’s).
Note: Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.