What is Spontaneous Combustion?
Spontaneous combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs in certain materials which causes them to burst into flames. Spontaneous combustion can occur when hay, sawdust, coal, compost, oil-based products and other everyday materials are stored improperly and—in simple terms—the internal heat that is generated isn’t allowed to escape.
Fire Safety: Don’t Cook with a Dirty Stove
If your stove is covered with grease and other flammable grime, a small kitchen fire can get out of hand quickly. Clean and clear the area around the stove before turning on the heat. Here’s how to clean an oven when they “self-clean” just isn’t enough.
Fire Safety: Dust Bunnies Can Spark Fires
There’s a reason why dusting is an important chore at home. Dust bunnies will ignite and spread a fire quickly if exposed to a spark from an electrical socket, like where your fridge or countertop appliances are plugged in. Make your home dust bunny free with tips for cleaning a dusty range hood.
Fire Safety: Don’t Keep Your Propane Tank Indoors
That propane tank that powers your summer barbecues can leak gas when it’s out of use. Even a small leak can ignite with a spark from the grill or the mower. It’s best to store it in a sheltered area away from your house, such as a garden shed. Plus: These are the safety tips to follow when grilling.
Fire Safety: Flour Can Be a Fire Hazard
Yes, it’s true. Flour can be a fire hazard when flour dust in the air. In fact, many powdered foods, such as non-dairy creamer, spices and dried milk, will ignite readily. This is because they can burn easily from all sides, so they flare up quickly when exposed to a naked flame.
If you should be unlucky enough to suffer a house fire, a smoke alarm could save your life. So always be sure yours is properly maintained.
Fire Safety: Know How to Put Out Cooking Oil Fires
It stands to reason that cooking oils are highly flammable, yet a high proportion of house fires are caused when cooking oils ignite, often when pans are left unattended. In 2018, three houses were destroyed in Calgary, Ontario, and two more damaged after a cooking pan caught fire when left alone.
Do not throw water on a pan fire—it will only cause greater combustion. And do not try to carry the pan outside either, because it’s likely to drip burning oil as you go, causing an even greater fire. Cover the pan with a damp cloth or dish towel and leave at least 30 minutes.