Summer is ideal for traveling around and exploring everything the USA has to offer! But even if a road trip doesn’t figure into your summer plans, there’s a way to take a virtual tour of America—through the Lay’s annual “Taste of America” program. Lay’s is rolling out eight new potato chip flavors, each inspired by a flavor from a particular region of the country.
A Look at the New Lay’s Flavors
Lay’s enlisted the help of bestselling author and food enthusiast Hannah Hart and her wildly popular YouTube channel to announce this year’s iconic new flavors:
- Cajun Spice (Central Gulf): Prominently featured across beloved dishes like Jambalaya and Blackened Cajun Chicken, this Gulf Coast iconic flavor includes a mix of garlic, paprika, onion and oregano.
- Chile Con Queso (Texoma, Mountain, SoCal): Inspired by a Southwest favorite, this flavor infuses the legendary Tex-Mex taste of velvety cheddar queso with a dash of spice.
- Chesapeake Bay Crab Spice (Mid-Atlantic): Inspired by crab shacks along the Atlantic, this flavor is a taste of the Bay with custom-blended spices ready to savor.
- Deep Dish Pizza (Heartland): A taste of the iconic stuffed deep-dish pizza inspired by the famous Giordano’s pizza recipe.
- Fried Pickles with Ranch (Midwest): A deep-fried favorite at Midwest state fairs, you can’t pass up the opportunity to try this fair food fav.
- New England Lobster Roll (Northeast): Inspired by the lobster shacks of the Northeast, fans can now get the flavor of fresh lobster served on a buttery grilled roll.
- Pimento Cheese (Southeast): Inspired by Sunday socials and Southern charm, this flavor is a taste of creamy sharp cheddar with a hint of cayenne pepper.
- Thai Sweet Chili (Pacific Northwest): The food truck scene of the Pacific Northwest inspired this flavor, boasting the delicious blend of sweet chili sauce with a hint of heat.
Where to Buy the Chips
Each flavor will be available in its respective region from July 30 through September 23, and there will be regional flavor celebrations during the month of August at various state fairs and festivals. (Find your State Fair dates here!)
You don’t have to travel to get your regional potato chip flavor fix, though. You can purchase a variety pack with the full collection on the Lay’s website starting July 30. You can even pre-order your favorite flavors starting now.
Added Bonus: Revisit Regional Chips from Years Past
In addition to the eight new regional flavors, Lay’s is bringing back a whole bunch of favorites from past Taste of America programs, including:
- Wavy Truffle Fries (West Coast)
- Ketchup (Northeast)
- Wavy Fried Green Tomato (Southeast)
“Lay’s knows how significant local cuisine is to Americans,” says Sarah Guzman, senior director of marketing at Lay’s. “We wanted to honor the beloved flavors that remind our fans of home….We couldn’t think of a better time of year to bring these flavors to our fans because between barbeques, food festivals and outdoor fun, summertime truly is the most flavorful time of year.”