Expert Tips from the Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Start with a simple sangria recipe, then try your favorite combinations to make it truly your own. Skip the booze to make it an easy red sangria recipe without brandy, and keep tweaking until it’s the best red sangria recipe ever.
- Best wines for sangria: Zinfandel, lambrusco, shiraz, rioja, and sangiovese. You can most definitely substitute white wine for red.
- Best fruits: Citrus (lemons, limes, oranges), stone fruit (peaches, nectarines, cherries, plums), and tropical fruit (pineapple, mango).
- Stick with fruits that won’t get mushy. If you want to use melon balls, berries or apples, add them just before serving.
- Add cold sparkling soda just before serving to maintain the fizz.
- Save the ice until just before serving to avoid diluting your drink.
- Like it sweet? Add sugar to taste until dissolved to make yours into a sweet red sangria recipe.
Red Sangria Recipe with Brandy
What You’ll Need
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 cup brandy, rum or sweet orange liqueur
- Sliced fruit
- Sugar, to taste
For basic red sangria:
In a pitcher, stir in one bottle of red wine, one cup of brandy, rum, or orange liqueur and sliced fruit along with a few teaspoons of sugar if you like it sweet.
Chill for 2-3 hours or overnight. Add two cups of cold sparkling soda and ice and serve.