How to Bring the Beach to Your Backyard
Bring the summer fun to your backyard. Here’s how to transform your yard into the coolest beach on the block.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
With days getting longer and hotter, it’s tempting to grab a swimsuit and head to the beach to cool down a bit. But sometimes the effort of packing a cooler and supplies, getting the family into a car, staking out a spot in the hot sand and setting up camp can be a bit daunting.
To make things easier, we put together a how-to guide for bringing the beach to your backyard, including supplies, food and activities. By the way, these tropical recipes are perfect for your next staycation.
Set Up Your Beach
While you likely don’t want to truck in a ton of sand to your yard, there are a few ways to bring the surf home. Here are some of our favorites:
- Kiddie Pool: While it’s not the same as an ocean or lake, a small pool is a great alternative for a water day. This inflatable pool takes just a few minutes to fill with air and can fit up to two adults and three children, so everyone can hop in the water at once.
- Beach Chairs: Lounge in style with a comfortable beach chair. This low chair from Coleman keeps you close to the ground, making it easy to stretch out and work on your tan. Plus, this chair has a convenient cup holder and seat pocket to keep refreshments close at hand.
- Beach Towels: Or, take to the grass and lay out on one of these plush beach towels. Their highly absorbent cotton fibers wick away moisture with ease.
- Umbrella: Keep things cool on a sunny day with a beach umbrella or patio umbrella. If it’s a particularly sweltering day, get a hand fan, too.
- Sunblock: Whether you’re at the beach or in your backyard, protecting your skin should be on the top of your list. Banana Boat offers a two-pack of their Ultra Sport sunscreen which is water and sweat-resistant for up to 80 minutes and has an easy spray applicator.
- Sandbox: If it’s not a beach day without a bit of sand, investing in a sandbox is just the ticket. Costway’s fir sandbox comes with a built-in bench and two storage boxes to keep toys and buckets in place. Don’t forget the sand, too!
Bring the Fun
Grab some of these beach classics to keep yourself busy and give your backyard an authentic seaside touch.
- Use your phone or outdoor speaker system to blast some summer jams like Surfin’ USA, Rockaway Beach, Here Comes the Sun, or whatever you’re in the mood for.
- Beach volleyball, anyone? You don’t have to set up a net to pass a few volleys or bounce a beach ball around.
- Pick up a classic lawn game or two, like bags or bocce ball. Here are some more lawn games we love.
- Play a game of water tag with squirt guns or water balloons. That way you can enjoy the water even if you don’t have access to a pool.
Serve Beachy Refreshments
Taste of Home
As wonderful as the beach is, sometimes the snacks and beverages are even better! Here are some snacks and drinks that range from picnic favorites to full-blown tropical fare.
- Keep things simple with some go-to beach picnic foods like sandwiches and finger-friendly apps. Check out some of our favorite beach recipes here.
- When you’re going to the beach, you can’t forget the snacks. A backyard beach is no different, so we put together some of our best pool snacks, including pretzels and snack mixes.
- Transport your taste buds to a Hawaiian beach with a few of these tropical recipes that only take 30 minutes or less to make.
- Speaking of tropical, make the most of easy access to a kitchen and whip up one of these frozen beverages. Or, skip the blender and go with a refreshing summer cocktail instead.
- Make sure you keep yourself hydrated in the summer heat with some non-alcoholic drinks, too, like these fun lemonade recipes.
Just because the sun goes down doesn’t mean the fun has to stop. Continue the summer celebration by throwing an outdoor movie night! Here’s how to have an outdoor movie night in your backyard.