Photo: Shutterstock/tong patong
Soda. It’s almost everyone’s favorite liquid guilty pleasure. Unfortunately it’s loaded with sugar, a carbohydrate that produces energy for the body. The catch? Sugar is only a temporary energy fix. Consuming a sugary drink will give you the get-up-and-go you might crave, but the effects quickly fade. Before you know it, you’ll be yearning for another sugary substance (like a super-easy 5-ingredient dessert that you could be eating in just minutes), adding empty calories to your diet. Worse yet, when your body takes in more sugar than it needs for energy, it converts that sugar into body fat.
So what to do when sweet temptation calls? If you’re looking for a tasty beverage without all the calories, consider water. Better yet (because, boooooring), consider fruit- or veggie-infused water.
Why Infused Water Is So Healthy
Water helps you feel full and puts snack attacks on hold. Cell and organ function require water to keep the body running smoothly. It prevents the body from overheating, helps transport food, vitamins and minerals through the body and helps flush the system of toxic substances.
Fruits and veggies are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Not only do they boost immunity and help ward off a variety of maladies, they also help lower blood pressure, aid in digestion, prevent inflammation, manage weight and stave off sugar cravings.
Tips for Success
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly before mixing.
- Mix together in an infuser water bottle, pitcher or a big glass mason jar. (Psst: Find out how much water you need to drink in a day.)
- Be sure to have a good ratio of fruits/veggies to water; the more ingredients you add, the more tasty your water will be.
- To maximize flavor, allow the mixture for sit for 24 hours before drinking. This will allow more time for the flavors to release.
- If you like, use a strainer or sieve to remove seeds or pulp.
- Add ice cubes to keep water cold, or add frozen cubes of lemon juice or herbs.
So why not mix water and your favorite fruits and vegetables into one tasty beverage? The next time you’re feeling parched, go for infused water—we’ll get you started with these 10 delicious flavor combos. You’ll have a homemade beverage with a burst of flavor and none of the guilt.