The Better-for-You Banana Bread Recipe You Need to Know
Craving banana bread, but not all of the calories? Give this healthy banana bread recipe a try. It's delicious AND nutritious!
Banana bread is a classic, all-American comfort food that fills the whole house with warmth, but it’s not always the healthiest option. That’s why if you’re watching your waistline, you’ll love this healthy banana bread recipe! It tastes just as good as any of our best banana bread recipes but cuts back on calories and fat.
How Do You Make Healthy Banana Bread?
Yields one loaf (about 16 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Step 1: Get whisking
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until crumbly. Beat in the egg, then the egg white, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
Step 2: Add the goodness
Stir in the bananas, applesauce, honey and vanilla extract. Combine the flours, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the banana mixture until moistened.
Step 3: Pour mixture into the pan
Pour the mixture into a 9×5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pecans.
Step 4: Make that bread
Bake at 325°F for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!
How Do You Keep Banana Bread Moist?
Keep your banana bread good as new from the first slice to the last by following these tips:
- Use very ripe, brown bananas.
- Always wrap your bread in plastic wrap, aluminum foil or an airtight container to keep it from drying out.
- Banana bread can be left out at room temperature for up to two days.
- If you want your bread to last a bit longer, pop it in the refrigerator and warm it up in the microwave when you’re ready to enjoy it. Refrigeration will keep your banana bread fresh and safe to eat for up to one week.