This Is What You Need to Plan a Family Reunion Picnic
You're in charge of the family reunion? Let us help! Here's a look at our best ideas, including top picnic recipes and food for a crowd.
The summer months are a perfect time for relatives from near and far to come together for a family reunion picnic in the park. Such a grand gathering isn’t complete without those treasured recipes that have been in the family for generations.
You may also want to branch out and make some new memories! Here’s what we’d put on the menu for our family reunion.
Start With Our Tried-and-True Family Reunion Food Ideas
Here’s a menu of classic potluck ideas that can easily be doubled—or tripled—to feed your family.
- Layered Veggie Tortellini Salad
- Red, White & Blue Potato Salad
- Grilled Picnic Chicken
- Layered Picnic Loaves
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Amish Sugar Cookies
Need more large-quantity recipes? Try:
- Mama’s Warm German Potato Salad
- Broccoli Salad Supreme
- Fruit with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Jen’s Baked Beans
- Cheddar Pan Rolls
- Potluck Strawberry Trifle
- Bandito Chili Dogs
- Crisp Onion Relish
- Slow-Cooked Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
- Sweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce
- Ramen Noodle Salad
If you still need to find a family reunion location, we’ve got a list for that, too!
Here’s How Much to Cook When You’re Cooking for a Crowd
When planning a buffet, use this guide to estimate how much you’ll need per person. Keep in mind, if you offer more than one item from each category, the less you’ll need per serving.
- 3/4 cup of coffee or tea
- 24 ounces of soft drinks, juices, lemonade or bottled water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 to 2 slices of bread
- 1 biscuit, roll or muffin
- 1 cup of green salads
- 1/2 cup of fruit, potato or pasta salads
- 3 to 4 pickle slices or 1 pickle spear
- 3 olives
- 1 ounce of ketchup, mustard and pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon (1 pat) of butter or margarine for bread and rolls
- 1 ounce of sliced cheese for sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons of cream for coffee
- 1/2 cup of ice cream or frozen yogurt
- 1 portion of cake or pie
- 4 to 6 ounces of meat, fish or poultry
- 2 hot dogs
- 1 to 2 ounces of sliced luncheon meat
- 1 ounce of potato or corn chips
- 3 to 4 ounces of ice for beverages