My neighbors used to always have packages of OREOs in the house, which was awesome when I went over, but not great for their four-legged friend. There was a time that their pup accidentally ate some of those OREOs, and unfortunately didn’t make it.
We’ve all heard horror stories about doggies and chocolate, and while we hope it never happens to us, it’s good to know what to do if you do catch them getting into some chocolate.
“Seems obvious, but sometimes it can be hard to remember if you’re freaking out,” Krause said.
After that, you should estimate how much you think your dog ingested. That might be a little hard, though you can always call a local veterinarian to help you estimate how much was eaten and how high your pup’s risk level is.
However, for a quicker answer, there’s also a “chocolate calculator,” provided by the Veterinary Clinic, that lets you input your dog’s weight, the kind of chocolate that was eaten and how much of it ingested. According to those three factors, it will let you know how much danger your pup is in. If your dog’s risk level is moderate or high, immediately call your vet or take your dog to an emergency animal hospital. If the risk level is minimal to mild, you don’t have to take your pet to an animal hospital, but be sure to closely monitor for any adverse reaction.
Darker chocolate tends to be more dangerous because it has higher levels of caffeine and theobromine, which are the elements that are toxic to dogs.
Some negative effects from chocolate for dogs are vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pain, agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and, unfortunately, death.
Of course, if you see that your doggie just doesn’t seem right, don’t risk it, and just go straight to the vet for immediate medical attention.