How to Make an Easy Cherry Dump Cake
No mixing bowl? No problem! With this cherry dump cake recipe, you'll still have dessert on the table in no time.
Cherry cobbler is an all-time favorite dessert. Nothing compares to juicy cherries paired with a tender cake topping. But even though it’s fairly simple to put together a cobbler, we love to take a shortcut to make dessert even faster. Hello, cherry dump cake!
This quick cake resembles a cherry cobbler, with a fruity base and a golden, buttery cake topping. It’s made with just five ingredients, but even better, there’s no mixing bowl required. The cherries, cake mix and melted butter are all dumped straight into a baking dish. You’ll have fewer dishes to do and more time to enjoy dessert, which makes this recipe perfect for summer.
The Best Cherry Dump Cake Recipe
Molly Allen For Taste of Home
This easy cherry dump cake recipe uses cherry pie filling and one box of white cake mix as the base. Salted butter is added to create the topping while enhancing the flavor. The almond extract is optional, but the simple ingredient takes the flavor of this simple cake to the next level.
- 1 (30-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1-1/2 sticks salted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Measuring spoons: Just because it’s a dump cake doesn’t mean you can eyeball the ingredients! Use a measuring spoon for the almond extract to ensure that you don’t go overboard with the ingredient.
- 8-in. square dish: Easy serving and easy cleanup is the best part of a dump cake. Bake your ingredients in an 8-in. square dish for optimal baking.
- Cooling rack: You’ll want to serve this dump cake warm, not piping hot. Leave the cake to rest on a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes after baking.
Step 1: Add the cherry filling
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the cherry pie filling into the dish and spread evenly with a spatula.
Step 2: Top with cake mix
Add the bag of white cake mix on top of the filling and gently even it out with your hands.
Step 3: Pour the butter and bake the cake
Combine the melted butter and almond extract. Pour the butter evenly over the cake mix. Put the baking dish in the oven and bake for 55 minutes. Once baked, remove the cake from the oven to cool slightly. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Cherry Dump Cake Recipe Variations
The best thing about making a dump cake is that there’s no mixing bowl required. It’s as easy as dumping ingredients straight into the baking dish and putting it in the oven. What makes dump cake recipe ideas even better is the option to customize the flavor. While this cake was made with cherry pie filling and a white cake mix, it is possible to mix and match with other fillings and toppings.
- Add fruit: Mix in crushed pineapple along with the cherries for a super summery burst of flavor.
- Try a different cake mix: Use a yellow cake mix or chocolate cake mix instead of the white cake mix.
- Spruce it up with mix-ins: Consider sprinkling brown sugar, mini chocolate chips or crushed nuts on top for even more added texture and flavor. The possibilities are endless!
Can I Make Cherry Dump Cake in a Slow Cooker?
Yes! If you tried our pineapple upside-down dump cake and loved it, you can convert this recipe into a slow-cooker recipe too. Melt the butter and mix in the almond extract. Pour 1/2 cup butter into the bottom of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with cherry pie filling and cake mix, then drizzle the rest of the butter mixture over the cake mix. Cook, covered, for two hours on high.