Our vegan doughnuts are perfect for beginner bakers. Follow this simple step-by-step recipe to learn how to make the batter from scratch, form the doughnuts and bake them to perfection. And since these doughnuts are baked—not fried—you can leave the guilt at the door!
Quick Tips for Making Vegan Doughnuts
- Mix your batter until just combined, you don’t want to overmix and make the doughnuts tough.
- No piping bag? No problem. Grab a quart-sized zip-top bag, pour the batter into the bag and cut the tip to pipe.
- Use a doughnut pan for perfectly-sized doughnuts. Be careful not to overfill the pan, though. You can find the Wilton pan I used on Amazon for $15.
How to Make Vegan Doughnuts
For the doughnuts:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Vegan sprinkles
Step 1: Make the batter
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a second mixing bowl, combine the dairy-free milk, coconut oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Transfer the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
Step 2: Pipe batter into doughnut pan
Grease the doughnut pan with a little bit of coconut oil. Pour batter into a piping bag then pipe out the batter in a circle into the prepared pans. If you’re new to piping bags, follow these tips and tricks to use one like a pro.
Step 3: Bake the doughnuts
Bake doughnuts at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. Once cooked through, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Flip onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Jenna Urben for Taste of Home
Step 4: Decorate the doughnuts
To make a vegan chocolate glaze, combine the chocolate chips with the coconut oil. Dip the doughnuts into the glaze then place back on cooling rack to harden. Toss some vegan-friendly sprinkles on top to really bring these doughnuts to life!
Once cooled, enjoy with a cup of coffee. And don’t forget, sharing is caring! Package these vegan doughnuts up and give them as a gift along with one of these other gift ideas for the doughnut lover in your life.