Our Pros Found the Best Mop for Your Home
Our cleaning pros found the best mop for cleaning your home (including the best mop for hardwood floors!). Find out which option is best for your worst messes.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Everyone has a chore that they dread, the one that they put off as long as possible. For many of us, that chore is mopping. Lugging a heavy bucket across the house? Using a mop that slops rather than cleans? It’s no wonder so many of us aren’t cleaning our floors as often as we should.
But if you’ve got the right tool for the job, that undesirable task becomes so much easier.
How We Found the Best Mop Options
To find the right tool for cleaning up your kitchen messes, our team of product testers put the most popular mop options to the test, including traditional mops, power mops and even fancy robot mops. Each was tested with these cleaning criteria in mind:
- Cleaning power: Can the mop clean up regular kitchen messes? What about sticky spills? Is it absorbent?
- Ease of use: Was the mop easy to use? Was pulling it out of the cleaning closet worth the effort? Are replacement heads available?
- Ability to fit under furniture and into small spaces: Can the mop fit into hard-to-reach areas? A mop is no good if it can’t reach those small spaces under the radiator or between the legs of the dining room table.
- Special features: Does the mop do anything special? Does it excel at cleaning a particular type of flooring?
Our Test Kitchen-Preferred Mops
Over the course of several months, many spills and plenty of passes under the kitchen table, our testers found the best options to add to your cleaning arsenal.
Best Power Mop: Bissell CrossWave All-in-One Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner and Mop
Want a mop that’s so much more than a mop? That’s the Bissell CrossWave. This awesome piece of cleaning equipment mops and vacuums.
That’s right: As you push the Bissell CrossWave across the floor, it sucks up all the little bits and debris then mops everything away. That means no need to sweep before you start mopping. That’s a nice time saver!
But the CrossWave delivers so much more than just convenience, it also gave our kitchen floors a spectacular clean. The Bissell cleaning solution left the floors sparkling and free of grit, grease and grime. Floors felt and looked terrific for days—or until the next big spill. This vacuum-mop hybrid gave the best and longest-lasting clean of any mop we tried.
So what do you need to do to maintain a gadget like this? Just empty out the dirty water reservoir after cleaning (you’ll see all the dirt this machine picks up which is gross and completely satisfying). You can also clean the brush rolls right in the charging station. When you do need to take the machine apart to refill or replace the brush head, testers said it was easy and intuitive. Our only reservation with this mop was its size. It takes up as much space in your cleaning closet as a small vacuum, so space-conscious cleaners, be aware.
- Features: Mops and vacuums; replacement brush rolls (including brush rolls for picking up pet hair) and cleaning solutions available
- Price: $250
Best Mop for Hardwood Floors: Bona Hardwood Floor Premium Spray Mop
Those of us with hardwood floors know the challenge of keeping these surfaces clean and looking their best. And knowing which mop is the best mop for hardwood floors—just as challenging. But our testers found it: the Bona Hardwood Floor Premium Spray Mop.
This easy-to-use spray mop was just the tool for regular hardwood upkeep. The wide pad worked great for getting into corners and under furniture. And when the cleaning was done, the pad could be tossed right into the wash to use another day. The spray also coated the floor evenly so you get the most out of each swipe.
While this mop might not be ideal for serious spills, our testers found it to be perfect for regular hardwood maintenance.
- Features: Cleaning pads are washable; replacement pads and additional cleaning solutions also available
- Price: $40
Best Mop for Spills: Casabella Original Mop
Instead of reaching for a roll of paper towels to clean up a massive spill, grab the right fool for the job: the Casabella Original Mop.
The cellulose sponge mop head is super absorbent and the mop has impressive wringing action so you can clean up that spilled pitcher of iced tea fast (and even have time to make another batch). This mop’s low profile also makes it easy to fit under furniture and clean up spills in hard-to-reach places.
- Features: Refills available
- Price: $30
Best Budget Mop: Libman Wonder Mop
We understand that not everyone wants to shell out the big bucks for cleaning supplies (some of us would rather spend our money on trendy cookware). For folks that want to save on cleaning but still want results, try the Libman Wonder Mop.
This Libman mop has a small head which makes cleaning in narrow spaces, like beside the fridge, a breeze. It also has great absorbency so you can soak up plenty hot, soapy water to clean your kitchen floors. Just be sure to give the mop head a good wringing so you don’t end up with floors that take too long to dry.
And when your cleaning is done, you can pop the Libman Wonder Mop top right into the wash before using it again.
- Features: Washable mop heads; replacement mop heads available at most big box stores
- Price: $9
How to Give Your Floors the Best Clean
With the right mop in hand, you can give your floors the deep clean they need and deserve. Also, make sure you’re correctly cleaning the type of flooring you have.
- Tile floors: Use your preferred mop and cleaning solution for regular upkeep, and, when necessary, give the grout a good scrub (use a clean toothbrush to get into the crevices). Baking soda is a great natural way to lift away stains and dirt.
- Linoleum floors: A mop and cleaning solution is all you need to wipe away grime on linoleum floors. Don’t use any coarse brushes on these floors, though. You could scratch or damage the surface.
- Hardwood floors: Hardwood needs a little extra care and attention. Make sure you follow these hardwood care guidelines and cleaning tips. Also, be sure to have a good hardwood floor cleaner on hand. You can also use the cleaning solutions recommended by your mop brand. Now that you got your floors handled, check out step-by-step guide to cleaning the rest of your living room.