Make this holiday great with these helpful turkey tips.
Find even more turkey tips and recipes in our video playlist.
- When determining what size turkey you need to feed your gang, remember that 1 pound of turkey makes 2 servings. So a 12 pound turkey will create 24 servings of turkey.
- Wondering what it means when you see "hen" or "tom" written on your turkey's packaging? This indicates if the turkey is a male (tom) or female (hen).
- Don't stuff your turkey until you're ready to put it in the oven. Spoon the stuffing loosely into the neck cavity of the bird.
- Cook your turkey until it reaches a temperature of 180°. To determine the temperature, insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the thick portion of the turkey's inner thigh area, making sure the thermometer doesn't touch the bone. Then stick the turkey into the oven. You can also use an instant read thermometer toward the end of roasting.
- When the turkey breast area has browned, loosely cover it with foil to avoid excess browning. Continue roasting till done.
Use this handy chart to determine when your bird is done (for whole turkeys only):
|WEIGHT||COOKING TIME (minutes per lb)||OVEN TEMP||DONENESS|