Easy, Fun & Inexpensive, Too!
When time-strapped moms need a go-to dinner that's sure to be a hit, they can look to Katherine Desrosiers's menu with confidence. From Trail, British Columbia, she provides a spread perfect for any night when time is tight.
Ham & Cheese Roll-Ups are a fun twist on the traditional hot ham and cheese sandwich. Kids will love to make them! Get the tots rolling while you put together the incredibly easy, yet tasty Romaine Salad. Since you've already got the Parmesan cheese out for the sandwiches, sprinkle a bit on the salad for extra flavor.
But remember to save room! Katherine's Rum Banana Sauce is delicious served over ice cream! It's so good, you'll be tempted to forget the ice cream altogether!
Here's the Plan:
- Make the sandwiches and place in the oven as directed.
- Whisk together the salad dressing.
- Cook the banana sauce; keep warm.
- Assemble salad and serve sandwiches.
Budget-Friendly Shopping Tips
All of our 30-minute menus are super-smart when it comes to saving money. Mix and match these recipes to best fit your own personal budget. Also, keep these tips in mind on your next shopping trip:
- Buy meats in bulk when on sale. Divide the packages and freeze in amounts to suit your family's needs.
- Precut fresh produce from the deli salad bar is a good alternative when you need only small amounts. It prevents unused produce from spoiling in your fridge.
- To stretch your food dollar, consider adding canned beans to your casseroles and canned veggies to your soups.
- Don't shy away from buying a whole chicken to roast. Leftover meat can easily be frozen and used to make other meals, like casseroles and soups.
- Check your pantry to see what's on hand and our Recipe Finder for menu ideas before writing out your grocery list.
- Pre-shredded, precut fresh produce, cheeses and meat can save time. However, doing the work yourself when you have extra time will save a few bucks.