Zuppa di Fagioli Recipe
I like to welcome family home with steaming bowls of this hearty white bean soup. It features plenty of vegetables as well as tender Italian meatballs.—Mary Caron, Edenton, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs and cheese. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls.
- 2. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until juices run clear; drain and set aside.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, saute the leeks, carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, broths, tomatoes, spinach, basil, parsley, salt, pepper and reserved meatballs. Cover and cook until spinach is tender and meatballs are heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 141 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC