Our home economists wanted to wrap seasoned scallops in thin zucchini strips before threading them onto skewers for grilling. The problem was finding a terrific scallop recipe. When Hershey, Pennsylvania's Julie Gwinn shared her citrus marinade, they found just what they were looking for. Julie's recipe is easy enough for weeknight suppers, and the eye-fetching treatment suits weekend dinner parties.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds sea scallops (about 16)
- 2 medium zucchini
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, oil, seasoning, orange peel and red pepper flakes; set aside 1 tablespoon for basting. Pour the remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the scallops. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut zucchini into very thin lengthwise strips. Drain and discard marinade. Wrap a zucchini strip around each scallop. Secure by threading where the zucchini ends overlap onto metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill seafood, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until scallops are opaque, brushing once with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini-Wrapped Scallops in Light & Tasty June/July 2006, p60
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Zucchini-Wrapped Scallops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review