Zucchini with Basil Cream
I enjoy cooking and have a big garden every year. I like to fix this colorful side dish that makes the most of fresh zucchini and carrots.
—Annabelle Erhart of Missoula, Montana
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-inch julienne strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, garlic and cayenne to a boil;
- cook, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by a third. Add carrots.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add
- zucchini; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into vegetables.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add
- Parmesan cheese and basil; stir gently. Sprinkle with mozzarella
- cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 72 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,