Zucchini with Basil Cream Recipe
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-inch julienne strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, garlic and cayenne to a boil; cook, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by a third. Add carrots. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add Parmesan cheese and basil; stir gently. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 72 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.