I enjoy cooking and have a big garden every year. I like to fix this colorful side dish that makes the most of fresh zucchini and carrots. —Annabelle Erhart of Missoula, Montana
Recommended: 57 Recipes with Fresh Herbs
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-inch julienne strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, garlic and cayenne to a boil; cook, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by a third. Add carrots. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add Parmesan cheese and basil; stir gently. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini with Basil Cream in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p27
Reviews for Zucchini with Basil Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review