Grace Engle of Cortland, Ohio relies on shredded zucchini to make this one of moistest cakes you've ever tried. She adds walnuts and chocolate chips to guarantee each piece is met with a glass of milk and a smile.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Fold in zucchini and walnuts if desired.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Chocolate Cake in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p61
Reviews for Zucchini Walnut Chip Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review