What gardener doesn't have extra zucchini? When it's abundant, I shred and freeze plenty so I have it on hand to bake this moist sheet cake all year long. The cream cheese frosting is yummy, and the big panful always goes fast at picnic or potluck. —Marie Hoyer, Hodgenville, Kentucky
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the zucchini, sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into zucchini mixture until blended. Fold in walnuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and mix well. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p31
Reviews for Zucchini Walnut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review