- 3 large baking potatoes (about 3/4 pound each)
- 3 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 400° for 50-75 minutes or until tender. Cool until easy to handle. Reduce heat to 350°. In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Scoop out the potato pulp, leaving a thin shell; place pulp in a bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, salt, pepper and remaining butter; mash. Stir in zucchini mixture. Spoon into potato shells. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Twice-Baked Potatoes
"I really don't like reviews of recipes that change everything in the recipe but when you live 15 miles in the middle of no-where sometimes (honestly, most of the time) I have to substitute ingredients. I didn't have sour cream but had 4 oz of cream cheese....I have learned that adding a little olive oil to warm cream cheese is a pretty close sub to sour cream. I also had about 4 mushrooms left in a box in the fridge so I threw those in with the onions and zucchini. It was very good as I made it. I am sure it is maybe even better if I followed the recipe exactly...but it was good.!!!!"
"What a wonderful flavorful recipe. My girls even loved it, and they are not zucchini fans. Great way to hide the veggies. The addition of the zucchini keeps the potatoes moist."
"I was surprised at how tasty these potatoes were. I didn't use as mush onion and zucchini as the recipe called for-it seemed like it would be too much. I used about 3/4 of a medium zucchini and less than half of an onion. My husband doesn't even like zucchini and he said these were very tasty. They're pretty to serve as well."
"these were great. I added 4oz of cream cheese to the mix and my family loved it!"
"Family really likes this --- some OF THE YOUNGER CHILDREN don't know the zucchini is a vegetable ! ! !I later actually tried it with "not so mashed" potatoes in a little pie shell and was equally as good. Tried a variety of cheese. Worked as well."
"These were delicious, I make them often now. Thanks."