Zucchini Tomato Soup
There's garden-fresh flavor in every spoonful of this easy-to-make soup. I like it for a low-calorie lunch, along with a roll and fruit for dessert. It serves just two, so you don't end up with leftovers.
-Nancy Johnson, Laverne, Oklahoma
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 small tomato, cut into thin wedges
- Dash each pepper and dried basil
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- In a large skillet, saute zucchini and onion in oil until
- crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt. Add the V8 juice, tomato, pepper
- and basil; cook until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon
- if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (calculated without cheese and bacon) equals 89 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 545 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.