Bacon bits add a smoky flavor to this colorful veggie combo from Nancy Johnson, a field editor in Laverne, Oklahoma. “I’ve also prepared this as a lunch entree for one, served with a roll and fruit,” Nancy notes.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 to 3 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon real bacon bits
- In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, onion and salt in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Gently stir in the V8 juice, tomato, basil and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Tomato Side Dish in Taste of Home June/July 2006, p59
Reviews for Zucchini Tomato Side Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review