Zucchini-Tomato Pasta Sauce
“I came up with this recipe after planting too many zucchini plants in our vegetable garden,” writes Joy Turner of Amherst, Ohio. “My husband loved it the first time I served it and now we make it quite often.”
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter and oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes
- or until zucchini is tender. Serve with pasta. Yield: 5 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without pasta) equals 96 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.