Zucchini-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Now that we're empty nesters, my husband is the brave one who gets to test my new recipes. This one quickly received a thumbs-up.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1. In a large ovenproof skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add zucchini and red pepper; saute for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, basil, salt and pepper. Carefully loosen the skin on one side of each chicken breast to form a pocket; stuff with vegetable mixture.
- 3. In the same skillet, brown chicken skin side down in remaining oil. Turn chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 387 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 44 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC