In Hickory, North Carolina, Nadeen Shrewsberry wouldn't think of squandering squash. "A friend gave me the recipe for this best-of-the-season slaw," she offers. "If you like the light taste of zucchini in a simple salad, you're sure to ask for a second helping of this one."
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate
- for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 71 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.