Zucchini Sausage Pasta Recipe
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked small shell pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add zucchini; saute 2 minutes longer. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, picante sauce, onions, garlic, sugar and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in pasta and Parmesan cheese; heat through. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 240 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 1090mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.