These unique snacks have the best of both worlds...a crunchy outside and a cheesy inside! Even folks who don't like zucchini will gobble them up.—Janet Rinehart, Chillicote, Ohio
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 ounces Asiago cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into eight 1/4-in. slices; discard ends.
- Layer cheese and sage on four zucchini slices; top with remaining
- zucchini. Wrap two pieces of prosciutto around each zucchini stack.
- Carefully cut each stack widthwise into fourths.
- Place the flour, egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow
- bowls. Dip stacks in flour, egg whites, then bread crumbs. Place on
- a greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15
- minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 appetizer equals 50 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.