I have made this lasagna-like zucchini casserole frequently over the years and shared the recipe with many. Recently, my daughter had some heart trouble, so I adapted the recipe to cut fat and calories. We think this version is just as delicious. -Eleanor Hauserman, Huntsville, Alabama
- 2 pounds zucchini
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (28 ounces) reduced-sodium meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until just tender. Drain; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, egg substitute, 3 tablespoons bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley, oregano, basil and pepper; set aside.
- Spread a third of the spaghetti sauce in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Cover with half of the zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Repeat layers of sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Combine remaining crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Ricotta Bake in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p31
Reviews for Zucchini Ricotta Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review