- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Place zucchini in strainer; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with the eggs, Parmesan and half of the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add green pepper. Bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
Sort By :
"I made this for my family using fresh Zucchini from our garden. I will definitely make it again, especially for my husband."
"Good way to use garden zucchini."
"This dish was very tasty, my husband loved the dish. I added slices of pepperjack cheese to the topping. Will definitely make again."
"Family loves this recipe!! I skipped the green pepper, but added garlic and mushrooms. I used one can of tomato sauce and 1 can of diced tomatoes drained and pureed to give it some texture and also added Italian seasoning, basil and garlic powder. I have shared this with many friends. Thank you!"
"My husband and I loved this dish - very flavorful and easily made. I followed the recipe as written except for the substitution of pizza sauce for the tomato sauce. I like that this casserole may also be frozen and the next time I make it (and there will definitely be a next time!) I think I will put it into two 8" dishes and pop one in the freezer for later. Great recipe!"