- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Place zucchini in strainer; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with the eggs, Parmesan and half of the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add green pepper. Bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
"Awesome! We practically cleaned out the bowl. No left-overs, so sad."
"This recipe is great; it's delicious and different. We tried it with sausage instead of beef first, and that was way too salty; that is not the fault of the recipe though. I add Italian seasoning to the sauce and cook the green pepper with the onion."
"My picky family liked this recipe. I made it as written, except that I added minced garlic when browning the ground beef and also used pizza sauce instead of Italian tomato sauce. I may try some other options next time, like adding mushrooms."
"Very good recipe!! I, too, added a bit more seasoning to the meat (oregano and garlic) but otherwise made as written. I tend to like my food a bit more spicy so thought maybe I'd add some dried pepper flakes to the meat the next time. Very good warmed up the next day, too!! I can't wait for zucchini season to make this again and again!!!"
"I don't eat carbs (pasta, etc) and can't wait to make this. Will probably add some ricotta on top of the zucchini."