- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add red pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
"With over 200 5-star reviews, I felt this dish was a no brainer. (I like to try new TOH recipes that don't have as many reviews yet, but I wanted a sure fire meal for tonight.) It was YUMMY.....loved the baked shredded zucchini-cheese base and can't go wrong with a tomato beef mixture with more cheese. Two thumbs way up and a perfect casserole to make anytime. Husband liked as much as I did."
"Wonderful dish! So simple and quick to make too! Can personalize it for your family with additional toppings too! Will definitely make again! Thank you!"
"This is definitely a do it again. I will try adding some other "pizza" toppings next time."
"My husband really enjoyed the meal. Didn't have enough of some of the cheeses, used what I had. Next time I'm going to top it with saute or canned mushroom, you could top it with any of your favorite topping."
"This was very good. Will be making again very soon. Thank you for such a great recipe."
"Outstanding recipe! Anyone who's tasted this ALWAYS requests the recipe. Yes, it's that darn good!"
"Made this tonight for supper. There was just the 2 of us. We liked it so much we ate over half of it. Leftovers tomorrow. I followed recipe pretty much to a tee, loved it!"
"Excellent! I used half summer squash and half zucchini-a perfect use for some of the squash our garden is giving us. I substituted mild provolone cheese for the cheddar and added some slices of turkey pepperoni for a little more "pizza" flavor. I also gave the top of the casserole a sprinkling of Penzey's Frozen Pizza seasoning-that really sealed the deal. We loved this casserole-I'll definitely be making it again. Thank you, Lynn!"
"This recipe was so easy to make. A little different way to use zucchini. My guests loved it.Served six, not eight. I will definitely make it again."
"I've made this twice in the last two weeks, as it's become one of my husband's top faves of my recipes. It's just the two of us, so I always halve the recipe and bake it in an 8X8 pan (it takes a little less time, and I cover it for the last ten minutes of baking to prevent over browning), and we get three dinners out of it. This time, I made it in the morning, as (1) it doesn't heat the house up quite as much earlier in the day, and (2) we both think it tastes better after it sits awhile. I generally avoid cheesy-meaty dishes during the hotter months, but this one doesn't come off as heavy because of the zucchini "crust". I've made it without the peppers on top or with roasted red peppers, and it's super either way."