- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place zucchini in colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out moisture.
- Combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce; spoon over zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses; add green pepper. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap casserole; reheat on a lower oven rack until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Casserole
"Excellent! Great low carb dish to satisfy cravings for pizza. Will be making this and changing up the meat/veggies to make different varities(this time I used ground beef,mushrooms and black olives. I also added seasoning to tomato sauce (red pepper flakes, garlic powder and Italian seasoning."
"Awesome! We practically cleaned out the bowl. No left-overs, so sad."
"This recipe is great; it's delicious and different. We tried it with sausage instead of beef first, and that was way too salty; that is not the fault of the recipe though. I add Italian seasoning to the sauce and cook the green pepper with the onion."
"My picky family liked this recipe. I made it as written, except that I added minced garlic when browning the ground beef and also used pizza sauce instead of Italian tomato sauce. I may try some other options next time, like adding mushrooms."
"Very good recipe!! I, too, added a bit more seasoning to the meat (oregano and garlic) but otherwise made as written. I tend to like my food a bit more spicy so thought maybe I'd add some dried pepper flakes to the meat the next time. Very good warmed up the next day, too!! I can't wait for zucchini season to make this again and again!!!"