When we had a vegetable garden, I was constantly looking for ways to use my ample supply of zucchini. In this family-favorite recipe, zucchini is used to make a garden-fresh-crust.—Cathy Dawe, Kent, Ohio
Featured In: 26 Favorite Camping Recipes
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 5 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine zucchini, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and eggs; mix well. Press on the bottom and up the sides of a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is set and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef, onion salt and garlic salt over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano; mix well. Spoon over crust. Sprinkle with green pepper, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar and mozzarella.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into 2-in. squares. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Zucchini Pizza Bites in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p16
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Zucchini Pizza Bites
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review