- 2 pounds firm fresh zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Combine zucchini and onions in a large bowl; sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand 2 hours; rinse and drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour over zucchini and onions; cover and let stand 2 hours.
- Transfer to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: about 4 half-pints.
Originally published as Zucchini Pickles in Country Woman July/August 1996, p41
Reviews for Zucchini Pickles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 12, 2011
Has a wonderful flavor. And the zucchini is nice and crisp and the onions just blend together. Will make this more often.