- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef, sausage, onion and garlic; drain. Add tomatoes, zucchini, rice, water, basil and salt; cook until zucchini and rice are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, form eight 3-in. balls from aluminum foil; place on a baking sheet. Drape a flour tortilla over the top of each ball; secure sides with toothpicks to form a shell.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove the toothpicks; place shells on plates. Fill with zucchini mixture; serve warm. Zucchini mixture can also be served as a dip with tortilla chips. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Picadillo Sandwich in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p64
Reviews for Zucchini Picadillo Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2014
"I am always looking for new zucchini recipes. This was unusual AND good.I used it like a haystack instead of with the flour tortilla, putting it in layers including fritos, grated cheese and sour cream for toppings. You could include olives.I made up some regular rice instead of minute rice.Next time I will try it as a filling for fried tacos."