- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef, sausage, onion and garlic; drain. Add tomatoes, zucchini, rice, water, basil and salt; cook until zucchini and rice are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, form eight 3-in. balls from aluminum foil; place on a baking sheet. Drape a flour tortilla over the top of each ball; secure sides with toothpicks to form a shell.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove the toothpicks; place shells on plates. Fill with zucchini mixture; serve warm. Zucchini mixture can also be served as a dip with tortilla chips. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Zucchini Picadillo Sandwich
Sort By :
I am always looking for new zucchini recipes. This was unusual AND good.
I used it like a haystack instead of with the flour tortilla, putting it in layers including fritos, grated cheese and sour cream for toppings. You could include olives.
I made up some regular rice instead of minute rice.
Next time I will try it as a filling for fried tacos.