Zucchini Pesto with Shrimp and Farfalle Recipe
Wonderful zucchini-basil pesto takes advantage of summer’s best produce and adds fantastic flavor to this simple pasta toss. You’ll feel like you’re dining in a fine restaurant, but the seasonal ingredients make it easy on your pocketbook. —Amber Massey, Fort Worth, Texas
- 8 ounces uncooked multigrain bow tie pasta
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Remove from the pan and cool slightly.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid. In a food processor, combine the basil, 1/4 cup cheese, pine nuts, garlic, reserved cooking liquid and 2/3 cup cooked zucchini. Cover and process until pureed.
- In the same Dutch oven, cook onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in the shrimp, pasta and remaining zucchini. Add the pureed mixture, milk, lemon juice, salt, lemon peel and pepper; toss to coat. Heat through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Pesto with Shrimp and Farfalle in Simple & Delicious August/September 2012, p37
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Zucchini Pesto with Shrimp and Farfalle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Seafood Recipes >
- Shrimp Dinner Recipes >
- Shrimp Pasta Recipes >