Zucchini Orange Salad
The ingredients in this recipe from Clarice Scweitzer of Sun City, Arizona may surprise you, but not as much as the delightful flavor and refreshing crunch the blend produces!
16-20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini, onion and celery. Cover with boiling
- water; let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain. Add the oranges, beans and water chestnuts. Combine remaining
- ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Pour
- over salad; cover and refrigerate 24 hours before serving. Yield:
- 16-20 servings.
Editor's Note: Home-canned or fresh green and wax beans can be substituted for purchased canned beans. Use 2 cups of each, and if using fresh beans, cook until crisp-tender before adding to salad.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 92 calories,