My husband, Avi, and I carry prepare these delicious latkes with our children, Sara, 10, and Yaakov, 5. This year, Sara is old enough to help make the latkes (the oil can get very hot, so be careful). I serve my latkes with sour cream, cottage cheese and applesauce, plus a salad on the side.
5 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3 medium zucchini, shredded (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup matzo meal or dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand for
- 10 minutes. Squeeze zucchini dry. Stir in the eggs, onion, matzo
- meal, pepper and remaining salt.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Drop batter by
- tablespoonfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 2 minutes
- on each side or until golden brown. Serve with sour cream if
- desired. Yield: 16 latkes.