Zucchini Italiano Recipe
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook zucchini in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until almost tender. Drain well; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the beef, garlic and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, tomato sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine egg and cottage cheese. Layer half of the zucchini slices in a greased 8-in. square baking dish, overlapping slices if needed. Spoon meat mixture over zucchini; dollop cottage cheese mixture over meat. Top with remaining zucchini slices.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle cheddar cheese around edges; bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 366 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 836 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.