When zucchini is plentiful in my garden, I slice and parboil it, then freeze it in 4-cup containers for recipes like this. It saves time—and lets us enjoy fresh zucchini year-round.—Sandy Robideau, Eureka, Montana
- 4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook zucchini in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until almost tender. Drain well; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, garlic and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, tomato sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and cottage cheese. Layer half of the zucchini slices in a greased 8-in. square baking dish, overlapping slices if needed. Spoon meat mixture over zucchini; dollop cottage cheese mixture over meat. Top with remaining zucchini slices.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle cheddar cheese around edges; bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Zucchini Italiano in Country Ground Beef 1993, p49
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Zucchini Italiano
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review